The Native Americans in the 21st Century: Nation Building II course addresses current issues facing Native & Indigenous nations or organizations and requires students to work directly with a client to conduct research or provide scholarly support to a project. A Nation Building II Project is a field-based research project proposed by a client. These projects are a partnership between the community client and students at HUNAP to study contemporary issues facing Indigenous nations and communities. Nation Building II Projects provide a source of assistance in the form of talented and committed students with the capabilities to look-into problems and issues that daily responsibilities prevent the client from addressing.
Although not a prerequisite, Native Americans in the 21st Century: Nation Building I, is taught in the January Term by Professor Joseph Kalt in the Kennedy School of Government. This course examines issues contemporary Indigenous nations and communities face in the 21st century, including: political sovereignty, economic development, constitutional reform, cultural and language maintenance and promotion, land and water rights, religious freedom, health and social welfare, and education. Because the challenges are broad and comprehensive, the course emphasizes the breadth of issues that leaders must confront, from health, education, and social services to politics, economics, and cultural change.
Nation Building II Projects 2007-2013
- 2014-02 Wagner, Shana. Developing a Prep School Model for Gifted Indigenous Youth in South-western Ontario. Indigenous Education Coalition. Ontario, Canada.
- 2014-03 Altamirano, Edgar. Muscogee Creek Nation: Chartered Community Revitalization Task Force. Muscogee (Creek) Nation, Community Research & Development. Tulsa, OK.
- 2014-04 Celosia, Allison & Dabrieo, Michael. Santa Clara Pueblo: Reimagining How To Create New Generations of Fluent Tewa Speakers. Santa Clara Pueblo, NM
- 2014-05 Hudson, Tim, Mirabal, Andria, Tadros, LeAnn; Hudson. KhaP’o Common Core. Santa Clara Pueblo Department of Youth and Learning. Espanola, NM
- 2014-06 Davis, Marissa & Lee, AJ. Fort Peck Health Promotion Disease Prevention: Intertribal Commodity Exchange Program Health Data. The Fort Peck Assiniboine and Sioux Tribes. Poplar, MT.
- 2014-07 Simpson, Sarah. Fort Peck Health Promotion Disease Prevention: Health Data. The Fort Peck Assiniboine and Sioux Tribes. Poplar, MT
- 2014-08 Lampone, Vince & Salazar, Jose. NCAI: Documenting NCAI Tribal Investments. National Congress of American Indians. Washington, DC.
- 2014-09 Blue, Hannabah, Hild, MacKenzie, Sevortian, Anna. iHuman: Curriculum Development for High Risk First Nations/Metis Youth. iHuman Youth Society. Alberta, Canada.
- 2014-10-15 Harris, Stacey. Towards a Daycare Center for the Wampanoag Tribe of Aquinnah: Potential Daycare Models and Considerations. Aquinnah, MA.
- 2013-01 Alvarez, C. & Karapetyan, A. Research in Data Ownership for First Nation Students Attending Provential School System, Indigenous Education Coalition, Muncey, ON, Canada.
- 2013-02 Biddiscombe, K. & Flores, M. Learning to Walk in Three Worlds: Curriculum Development for the Kickapoo Traditional Tribe of Texas, Eagle Pass, TX.
- 2013-03 Cesares, R. & Chernoff, M. Measuring the Well Being of Choctaw Citizens, Choctaw Nation, Durant, OK.
- 2013-04 Dagan, Y. Priorities for Education, Ft. Apache, AZ.
- 2013-05 Dorer, B. & Fetter, A. Promising Practices for the Effective Teaching of Native Students, National Indian Education
- 2013-06 Hild, M. & Macvicar, S. Moving the Mountain Inch by Inch: The Challenge of Education for Indigenous Youth, iHuman Youth Society, Edmonton, Canada.
- 2013-07 Rahman, A. & Tannin, C. Preserving Culture and Language, Piegan Institute, Blackfeet Nation, Browning, MT.
- 2013-08 Shearer, L. & Genova, E. The Future of Oneida Citizenship, Oneida Nation of Wisconsin, Oneida, WI.
- 2013-09 Maung Nyen. Human Rights in the Chittagong Hill Tracks, Bangladesh (movie).
- 2013-10 Ward, S. Chartered Community Revitalization Task Force, Muscogee Creek Nation, Okmulgee, OK.
- 2013-11 Warren, A. Core Values: Leadership Institute, Santa Fe, NM.
- 2012-01 Ahearn, S. & S. Patel. Planting the Seeds for Language Revitalization, The Oneida Nation of New York. Oneida, NY.
- 2012-02 Argetsinger, T. & J. Cruz. Work Group on Alaska Native Education: Implementing Collective Impact. Anchorage, AK.
- 2012-03 Benavidez, A. & Browne, C. Arrested Development: MHA Nation’s Development of Oil Resources. Three Affiliated Tribes-Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara, Fort Berthold, ND.
- 2012-04 Chan, A. & Eason, R. GOALS: The Gedakina Survey Project. Abenaki of New England.
- 2012-05 Damien, C. Tribal Energy Governance: Energy Governance Tools, Barriers to Self-Determination, & Values in Energy Development National Congress of the American Indians. National Congress of the American Indian, Washington, DC.
- 2012-06 Ewing, E.L. & Ferrick, M. For This Place, for these People: An exploration of Best Practices Among Charter Schools Serving Native Students. National Indian Education Association, Washington, DC.
- 2012-07 Hasan, A. Positive Impacts of Native Languages and Cultures Revitalization: Salish School of Spokane. Spokane WA.
- 2012-08 Pastogi, A. A Demographic Profile of the Native American Population of Spokane, Washington. Spokane WA.
- 2011-01 Barnes, S. Sustaining a Way Forward: Next Steps. Harvard University Native American Program. Cambridge, MA.
- 2011-02 Cohen, R. & Henschel, M. Fort Peck Tribal Utility Project: Case Studies, Points of Consideration, and Resources for Developing a Tribal Utility Commission. Poplar, MT.
- 2011-03 Connell, D. & Segal, A. Extraction Strategies: Managing Success. Ft. Peck Tribes, Montana.
- 2011-04 Hicks, N. & Tuttle, H. Shinnecock Early Learning/Day Care Center Planning Project Report. Shinnecock, NY.
- 2011-05 La Russo A. & Healey, G. Nipmuk Nashauonk: Stategic Plan for Museum and Cultural Center. Nipmuk Nation, MA.
- 2011-06 Manuhutu, O. Native Biz-Digital Divide: Connectivity and Empowerment. Banning, CA.
- 2011-07 Martin, R. Not Extinct: A History of the Tongva/Gabrieleno People of Los Angeles. Los Angeles, CA
- 2011-08 Miller, T. Choctaw Quality of Life: A Pilot Survey to Measure the Quality of Life of Choctaw Citizens Living in the Choctaw Tribal Nation of Oklahoma. Durant, OK.
- 2011-09 Nathan J. & Esquivel, L. Addressing the Unique Challenges of Kanaka Maoli Kūpuna Residing Outside of Hawaiʻi.
- 2011-10 Petillo, A. & Douglas, B. Addressing Sexual Violence on the Northern Cheyenne Reservation: An Integrated Approach to Community Healing. Lame Deer, MT.
- 2011-11 Rocha, S. Boys and Girls Club of Northern Cheyenne: Promise Neighborhoods. Lame Deer Montana. (Not Scanned). Lame Deer, MT.
- 2011-12 Torres, R. Hopi Conflict Management for Young People: The Nakwatsvewat Institute. Second Mesa, AZ.
- 2011-13 Way, A. Local Government Options for the Town of Ashland, Montana. N. Cheyenne, MT.
- 2011-14 Zhang, L. & Beauvais, R. Native Health Bar: Nutritional Analysis and Business Plan. Penobscott Nation, ME.
- 2010-01 Amdur-Clark, T. & Briggs-Cloud, M. Afognak Historic Preservation Project. Native Village of Afognak, AK.
- 2010-02 Brown, C. & Keene, A. Bureau of Indian Education: Summer Youth Leadership Challenge. Haskell, KS.
- 2010-03 Eaton, T. & Welch, J. Sante Fe Indian School- Economic Self-Sufficiency. Santa Fe, NM.
- 2010-04 Isaacson, L. & Hawk, R. Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation (MPTN), Citizen-Owned Businesses. Mashantucket, CT.
- 2010-05 Lightman, D. & Bloom, R. Business Plan Development for Economic Sustainability. Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo, NM.
- 2010-06 Longenecker, E. & Warren, K. Ft. Peck Tribes of Montana: Establishment of Non-Profit Organization for Wellness Development. Poplar, MT.
- 2010-07 Majzoub, K. Kusi Ccoyllor Development Initiative. Communities of Q’eros, Peru.
- 2010-08 Martin, R.& Yiengst, M. Ruby Tribal Council: Balancing of responsibilities and shared resources with local city government. Ruby, AK.
- 2010-09 Page, J. & Waidman, B. Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, Residential Schools and Traditional Words of Reconciliation.
- 2010-10 Patitsas, P. & Primbas, A. Rosebud Sioux Tribe Wind Farm Development and Ownership Issues. (Not Scanned). Rosebud, SD.
- 2010-11 Smalley, T. & Tsagaroulis, K. Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation (MPTN), Entrepreneurship and Financial Learning. Mashantucket, CT.
- 2009-01 Alfred, K. Cangleska: Research on Alcohol & Substance Abuse Residential Center. Pine Ridge, ND.
- 2009-02 Brossy, J. Development Strategies for Renewable Energy through Wind and Solar Technologies. Seneca Nation, NY.
- 2009-03 Cameron, J. Strategies and Considerations for Workforce Development in Remote Location of Multi-Billion Dollar Project on the Crow Reservation. Many Stars CTL, Crow Agency, MT.
- 2009-04 Conroy, K. Curriculum Development Concerning Native American Artifacts with the Harvard Divinity School and Peabody Museum. Peabody Museum. Cambridge, MA.
- 2009-05 Honey, R. Practices Model for Creation and Advancement of First Nations Economic Development Corporations: Metlakatla Development Corporation. Prince Rupert, BC, Canada.
- 2009-06 Kang, H. Evaluation of Shared Law Enforcement Resources Between Crow Agency, County and State Law Enforcement. Crow Agency, MT.
- 2009-07 Kolerok, C. & Thiele, R. Capturing the Carbon, Capturing the Market: The Development of Tribal Enterprises for Voluntary Carbon Offsets and Carbon Trading: Indian Dispute Resolution Center. White Mountain Apache, Sacramento, CA.
- 2009-08 Patten, J, Evaluation of Emergency Medicine Capacity and Training Needs. Ft. Peck, MT.
- 2008-01 Branch, E. The Story Behind the Just Transition Coalition and Its Quest to Effect Justice for the Navajo and Hopi People, Navaho Nation, Az.
- 2008-02 Chart, H. Barriers To Foster Care Placement, Northern Cheyenne Nation, MT.
- 2008-03 Deckinger, J. Strategic Guidelines for Tribal Efforts in Philanthropy. Potlatch Fund. Portland, OR.
- 2008-04 DeVincentis, A. & Jordan, K. Cultural Considerations in Constitutional Reform. Akwesasne Nation (Mohawk), NY.
- 2008-05 Edwards, A. & Schuettpelz, C. Economic Impact of Navajo Tax System on Border Communities: Navajo Tax Commission. Navajo Nation, AZ.
- 2008-06 Ghiselli, M. & Proffitt, L. Comparative Incidence of Cancers and Autoimmune Disorders: Pleasant Point. Passamaquoddy Nation, ME.
- 2008-07 Herrera, I.D. Environmental and Cultural Considerations for Design of Lakota High School. Pine Ridge, SD.
- 2008-08 Keefe, A. & Tantillo, V. National Native Cultural Standards for Indian Education, National Indian Education Association. Washington, D.C.
- 2008-09 O’Connor, F. Policy Implementations of Alaskans Institute First Alaska Natives Statistical Data Base. Anchorage, AL.
- 2008-10 Vanderhoop, T. & Youpee-Roll, A. Comparative Guide to Educate Tribal Members of Changes in Constitution. Crow Nation, MT.
- 2007-01 Barnes, S.M. Creating a Nation Building Museum: Considerations for the Redesign and Reorganization of the Hall of the North American Indian. Peabody Museum. Cambridge, MA.
- 2007-02 Brennan, E.L. & Curley, G. Tribal Considerations for Participation in Studies Collecting DNA. One Sky Center, Oregon Health Sciences University. Portland, OR.
- 2007-03 Chatsis, D. & Patterson, M. Options for a Constitution: Heiltsuk Tribal Council. Heiltsuk Nation, Canada.
- 2007-04 Goldstein, P. & Leonard, K. Continued Steps to Economic Nation Self-Sufficiency: Aquinnah Wampanoag Nation. Aquinnah, MA.
- 2007-05 Gomez-Murphy, M. United States, Canada, Mexico Indigenous Border Crossing Rights: Mohawk Council of the Akwesasne. Akwesasne Nation, NY & Canada.
- 2007-06 Harjo, T. & Schwarz, A. Historical Trauma: A Model for Examining Current Behavioral Health Issues. Mashantucket Pequot, CT.
- 2007-07 Levin, MJ. & Curley, M. Development of Alaska Natives First Alaskans Institute Statistical Data Base. Anchorage, AK.
- 2007-08 Parker, M. & Johnson, M. Fort Apache Restoration: Heritage Strategies And Structures: The Fort Apache Heritage Foundation. White Mountain Apache, AZ.
- 2007-09 Prevost, N. & Batt, T. Kalinago Development Corporation Report: Carib Council. Dominique, Caribbean.
- 2007-10 Swan, J. & van den Berg, A. Sovereign Nations Fund Financial Guidance. Salt River, Gila River and Tohono O’odham Nations, AZ.
- 2007-11 Wagner, D. & Porter, C. Methamphetamine and Pine Ridge: Options for Combating Its Use. Pine Ridge, SD.
- 2007-12 Yahel, H. & Aztlan, C. Legal Infrastructure for Nation Building: Tigua Legal Infrastructure. Ysleta Del Sur Pueblo, TX.